We’re only about 14 hours from media day, three days from the women’s season opener and four days from the men’s exhibition. The last few months have went by quickly, and once again, the season is upon us.
A few items of note before gearing up for media day:
1. The NCAA will allow most Fighting Sioux logos to stay in Ralph Engelstad Arena. That means pretty much everything has been hashed out between the NCAA and UND on the nickname issue and the women’s team will be allowed to host an NCAA quarterfinal, should they finish with a top-four seed this season.
2. The WCHA coaches poll will be out very soon. I’m just waiting on one ballot. Everything else has been tallied.
3. The first national polls have been released. USCHO’s Todd Milewski had an interesting post, showing that four of the last seven preseason No. 1 teams didn’t even make the NCAA tournament, including Notre Dame last season.
4. Problems at Sullivan Arena could force Alaska Anchorage to move its early-season tournament to a new rink. Anchorage will play three games against UND in October (one in Fairbanks, two in Grand Forks).
5. According to a report out East, Merrimack will add women’s hockey. The report doesn’t say how soon.
6. USCHO posted its WCHA preview. Their writer picked UND to win the league.
7. UND’s new play-by-play announcer, Dan Hammer, tweeted that Scott Koberinski will be the color man this season. Katie O’Keefe also will join the broadcasts.
8. It was said that Taylor Dickin would transfer to the University of Manitoba, but he’s not currently on the roster. That probably means he won’t be coming back to The Ralph this weekend. Manitoba started the season by sweeping Regina, then got swept by Alberta. In previous years, the Bisons had played their third game in three days when meeting UND. This time, the Bisons will have had a full week off.